Monday, September 17, 2012

Inspiration in the Men's Central Jail


It's been a while since I've written in this blog, but so much has been happening I have to share. Also, a friend recently said to me, "You should have a blog! You have something exciting happening every single week." And it's true. So I hope this blog of my adventures in Hollywood will inspire you to follow your dream. 

Last week I was fortunate enough to participate in a Leadership program inside the Los Angeles Men's Central Jail. The program was created by my friend Kamela Laird to give the incarcerated men skills to take to the outside world and so they won't become repeat offenders.

I taught a theater class and they were so great. They participated fully and by the end of the class they were transformed human beings. The men wanted to see some of my work so we arranged a screening of my feature film HOMEBOUND.  It was the first time I showed the completed film to an audience.  It was such an amazing feeling to see these men, some of whom haven't seen the outside world in years so moved by the film. They laughed at every joke and got every innuendo. One of them even admitted that he cried.  I went in there with the purpose of giving to them and ended up receiving so much. I got that my work matters and can make a difference. That's priceless.

All the instructors went back to the jail last week for graduation day. The photo above is all of us after the class. The men shared how the class has changed their view of life and were so grateful that we were there. Many of them approached me privately to tell me how much they enjoyed my film and how they could relate to the story, which surprised me. I also gave them signed head shots and they were thrilled and wishing me the best. All told me they shared with their family and friends about the film! It was a great experience indeed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment